Saturday, December 18, 2010

Angel Pie



Ok.  I know.

I know I was 2 cookie recipes short of the 12 Days of Cookies. 

Please forgive me.  No excuse except I became so sick of butter and sugar and needed to consume vegetables and healthier fare for a while.

To make up for it, I am posting a dessert recipe that should take the place of those missing cookies.  Fair deal?


This is a very retro dessert.  I haven't had it in about 32 years (wow, dating myself a bit).  So, 1970's retro.  Basically, it's a pavlova in a pie.  Have I got your attention yet?



You start off making a meringue base which bakes in a pie plate.  Then, you smother lemon curd, whipping cream and coconut on top.  Pretty easy and pretty yummy. 

Angel Pie



Meringue
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 c sugar (I use superfine in meringues so you don't bite into a granule)

Filling
4 egg yolks
1/2 c granulated sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
3 T lemon juice
3 T water

1 c heavy cream (plus sugar and vanilla to taste)
1/4 c - 1/2 c coconut

In a stand mixer, beat egg whites until glossy.  Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Add sugar and beat until thick and glossy.  Pour into a buttered/greased pie plate and bake 20 min at 275F.  Increase the temperature to 300F and bake an additional 40 min.  Let cool in the oven with the door open (best to do overnight).
Uncooked meringue just prior to entering the oven

After it's cooled in the oven (YUM-YUM!)

Combine all filling ingredients together in a double boiler.  Stir until thick.  Cover with plastic wrap so it doesn't obtain a skin (or just put in a plastic container with a air tight seal).  Refrigerate until ready to assemble.

Whip the cream until thick consistency (you can add sugar to sweeten it if you like).  Spread half on the meringue.  Top with all the lemon curd, and cover with remaining half of cream.  Sprinkle with coconut and chill until ready to serve.


No comments: